Following Auto Racing has been a passion of mine since I was a wee lad, and the collecting of automobilia started at a very young age. So enjoy my weekly insight into my growing collection and the stories of one of my passions.


Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Merry Christmas...so where is my racing stuff??

It seems each year "Santa" always leaves a little something in my stocking.  One of my favourite magazines is called "F1 Racing" F1 Racing Magazine .

This magazine is stuffed full of insight into the world of Formula 1 racing, with tons of pictures, interviews, technical breakdowns, etc.  Where I am, this magazine seems to be really hard to track down and at about $10.00 per issue I don't buy that many throughout the year, but the ones I do I keep in my collection dating back a number of years....so "Santa" keep them coming!!

It's also really nice to have a spouse that appreciates one of your passions...she may not be near as passionate about it, but she understands that I love this sport and when she hears the names Mika, Gerhard, and Gillies she also knows they are race car drivers as well.  A number of years ago while checking out a local collectors store in Vancouver called Wilkinson's Automobilia I came across a 1/18 scale of Mauricio Gugelmin's reynard car with custom sponsor decals on it.  I had to tell my wife about it, and low and behold...a couple of months later it appeared under the tree...what I nice gift for this race fan!!
This car was released by Action Diecast back in early 2000 and depicted a number of cars in the CART Racing Series.  In most cases when a cigarette company sponsors something like this, the cars were released with generic decals, but some hardcore guys alter them back to look as close to the real car as possible.  The guys over at Chapparrels Diecast are artists at this type of stuff...but they take it so much further...they are awesome!!!  At the Vancouver race I often tried to hunt Mauricio down, but was never able to get him to autograph the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment