Following Auto Racing has been a passion of mine since I was a wee lad, and the collecting of automobilia started at a very young age. So enjoy my weekly insight into my growing collection and the stories of one of my passions.


Sunday, April 3, 2011

Racing...one building block at a time.

OK...so my son has been on my case to get back to this after a few months off...so much stuff and so little time.  With his continueous proding, I thought why not to do something about racing and my collection where he has been involved.

Who has never played with Lego?, put up their hand...and of courses I don't see any hands up.

Well my son absolutely loved Lego...and still does or course, just like his Dad and I still love to let my mind go crazy as I just build stuff from scratch.  My son though enjoys following the directions, the harder the better.  Sure his frustration boils over, but he always gets it in the long run.  A few years ago he came across a Ferrari F1 Lego and just had to get it for Dad for Christmas.
He spent a few hours on it, but came through and presented me with my gift.  So it went downstairs and was added to my collection.
The following year my son found another Ferrari F1 pit crew set...and throught "What a great gift for Dad".

Again, a few hours later he called me to come take a look at my gift and it too went down to a spot amongst my collection.

Then I finally had a thought...hey he keeps building my gifts and I keep missing on the fun to build it.  So I decided to go out and find something that I could do.  I searched high and low and found a racing Transport truck and car from Mega Blocks...a company very similar the Lego.  I had it for a few weeks and tried to build it, but gave up as it was missing a piece or I just couldn't follow the instructions.  My son pulled it out one day, and over a week he put it all together...and it too has a spot downstairs now.



So finally we have come to the last gift to me from my son...again another Ferrari F1...of course!!!

This one was a little different.  Of course my son put it together, but this time once it was done, I went and rebuilt it changing the suspension points and the rear cowling.

I love it that we can work together on this passion of mine.  He keeps getting to build them, and I keep adding to my collection.  I know there is more out there, and look forward to see what he has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment